Monday, July 2, 2018

Coastal Trail from Rodeo Beach




At the Vista Point
Life sidelined me, not from running though. I continued to run, and it helped conjure positive energy. Training for the San Francisco Marathon is keeping me focused and positive. My writing was sidelined, it was hard to pick up the pen, well actually it was hard to type my thoughts.


I was invited to join a training run by friends getting ready for the Golden Gate (Summer) Trail Run. There is something about the views of the San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate (It is actually red.😊), that inspires me- to walk, to run and now to write again.

Annalisa, Hiromi and I set-out from Sacramento at 6 AM, or was it 7 AM? Anyway, it was early. We car-pooled, and I agreed to drive going to Rodeo Beach because after the run I know I would not be in the condition to drive. It was an easy drive until we got to the tunnel and we tried a different way to get to Rodeo Beach without having to go inside the tunnel. We took a few turns and got on the road on the way to Baker Beach and a wrong turn landed us facing a wire fence with a sign that said, “Keep out”. It had a beautiful vantage point of the Golden Gate Bridge, so I declared that I was going to take a picture while Annalisa and Hiromi worked out the directions. We got back on the road towards the tunnel and took another turn and was on the coastal road passing a Vista Point. Again, I said “I have to take a picture!”. Satisfied and on track we made our way to Rodeo Beach.

At Rodeo Beach, it was very windy, waves splashed hard on the shore, and there was fog (but of course!). After a trip to the ladies’ room and gearing up we were on our way. Our goal was to head out for 6 miles and turnaround for a total of 12 miles. We followed the Coastal Trail, Tennessee Valley Trails and the Miwok Trail. The trails were well-marked but there were a series of turns and could get you lost or run around in circles.
Overlooking Rodeo Beach


The hike started off very friendly and there were many families enjoying the trails and the views even on this very windy day. The trail was dusty and had gravel and was a steady climb and step were made in some parts. Then we took a left up the bunkers and descended on the other side. It happens to me all the time, it takes me a couple of miles to warm up. I often wonder, why each time I go out and run, it feels like the first time. I am out of breath, my heart pounding, and my head feels like it would explode. At this point I would slow down, as if I was not slow already and let the pounding subside. This is the reason that I realized I need that special Garmin watch that had a heart monitor. According to Garmin: The goal is to make you aware when physical or emotional sources cause your stress level to rise so you can find a way to relieve the pressure. It is very important to know this information so as not to hurt our body. I do not have a coach, but I listen to advise and get tips from friends who have run ultras.

I am really slow, so I tell Annalisa and Hiromi to just go ahead at their pace and they waited for me at the junctions. By now I have a history of getting lost 2x that my running friends make sure I don’t anymore. At the same time, I have paid attention to the trails even as I pay attention to my body.

Aside from my 1.5 litter water that I carry in my vest, I also carry 2 8oz Camelbak drinking bottles with Gatorade. My favored protein bar is Think Thin High protein bar with 20gms of protein because it is very tasty and not like a cardboard. I also like Snicker bars and Brach’s’ gummy worms. I have stayed away from dried cranberries or raisins, I really like them, but they make me gassy. For much longer runs, I have carried McDonald’s sausage burritos and peanut butter sandwiches. I switch them up a bit to relieve the boredom of taste.

We reached an area where sections of the trail had wooden planks and reminded me so much of a Japanese Garden. Another reason that slows me down is I take time to admire the scenery and take photos. I also carry a GoPro because nothing beats live video. I used to get teased carrying a GoPro but after friends have seen the videos they appreciate that I took the time to do so.

The Coastal Trail is good training because of the hills where the ascent and descent is definitely good for training. Annalisa and Hiromi waited for me a the 6mile mark on their Garmin and called to me saying “Come on Eve, this is mile 6”. On the return, we ran faster as we had become familiar to the trail. At an area close to the beach, Hiromi waved at me to show the way and I waved back. Then I turned because I saw a photo opportunity and Hiromi followed saying she was worried that I was taking a different trail. She laughed when she saw I was taking pictures. The fog had cleared up some and the view was fantastic.

I love trail running because just like in back packing and hiking I am there for the scenery. I am enjoying God’s creation at the same time keeping me fit. In trail running I get my exercise and enjoy the views in a shorter span of time so I can attend to other responsibilities. I schedule my runs on a weekly basis and reserve my backpacking trips for when I have a longer break from work. Enjoy!



Link: Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
Link: Marine Headlands Map

No comments:

Post a Comment