Sunday, January 21, 2018

My longest run ever, 17 miles! Skunk Hollow to Sophia Parkway




6:30 AM and 33F
I was visiting my son on Sunday, so I looked for a run for Saturday. Carina, my mentor/training lead encouraged me to sign-up for the Saturday group that she runs with – The Running Group in Folsom lead by Dave. Thankfully, Dave agreed to let me join after asking a few important questions. Like – how long I have been running and what is my longest distance and when was this. I ran with Carina the past two Sundays for a 13-miler.

At Skunk Hollow before the run.
Dave is training runners for ultra-marathons…. hmmmm! What am I getting myself into? The run is 18-miles. Meeting time 6:30 AM at Sophia Parkway, 15 miles from where I live. It’s 33F, I am wearing 4-layers of clothing. It’s amazing what they have now for sports clothing, it is super light and warm plus a beanie, 2 layers of socks, a short on inside and a long one that reaches my knees. I feel more comfortable wearing shorts, I make up for it by wearing knee-high socks to keep warm. I cut-up my protein/granola bars in pieces as was suggested by another runner.

At that start I tried to keep up with Carina, who was in the lead. But still her slowest pace, is not even my fastest. My feet, thighs, and hands were damn cold. My thighs felt they weigh a ton because they were frozen. I think it took a good 4 miles when they finally began to thaw, but not all the way, it was cold all the way till mile 16. Trail runs are harder because of change of elevation, it is up and down and up and down. But since it is in soft ground, a bit kinder on the knees. At a creek crossing, I tried not to get wet, but fell hard anyway, sigh! It felt even more cold.

At mile 6, I started to slow down and could not keep up with Carina and the two guys. Just a few feet behind me were other female runners. Suddenly, as I intended to slow down, my legs pushed me forward, I thought, what? I better ask Carina about that. It was weird.

As the female runners behind me caught up, they asked how I was, I said I was just struggling (like always). I ran behind Annalisa, Claudia and Hiromi. I was told we were on mile 10, that’s when I realized I had not been enough fuel to my run. By cutting up the granola/protein bar, I was only eating a few pieces when I should have been eating a bar every hour which is 150 calories per hour.

Sunrise
At mile 12, we ran into Grace and her friend they were doing a 12-mile Out-and-back (OAB) from Sofia Parkway. We took a photo by the little creek lined up on top of a little wood plank. Then off everyone went. I decided I would just take it slowly, because my leg and thigh muscles were sore. Then I hear Grace and Claudia calling. I tried to run faster. I do a lot of self-talk, telling myself, "Go on, Eve! One foot after the other". My nose was very runny, I had hunger pangs, my muscles were sore. But I kept moving forward.

Claudia is just a few years older than me and she has run three (3) 50-mile races, that’s so impressive. And here I am struggling through to make it 18. Claudia hang back with me for the next 5 miles. Encouraging me, saying I could do it. Pulling me saying, we run down, walk the uphill and pony trot the flat areas. If it were not for Claudia, if I had been left alone I would have totally slowed down and reach Sophia Parkway an hour later or even more. I am so appreciative of Claudia.

At home, I got a message from Carina, congratulating me for finishing my longest run ever. She also reminded me to ice my tired muscles. We also exchanged photos. Thank you Carina for inviting today!


What a great day! On to the next!!!!!



Mile 16 and I still managed a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment