Monday, January 8, 2018

Salmon Falls Training Run - 1st Section of the Course; 13 miles


Coloma River Races and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation organized the Salmon Falls Run which is a 50-K run. To be held on February 24, 2018. According to the website, The Salmon Falls 50K is a point to point ultra-distance trail race. The race begins at the Magnolia Ranch Trail Head near Coloma. The course will run the majority of the trails in the Cronan Ranch area before winding down to Folsom Point State Park at Folsom Lake. 

It was cold!
Many of the runners in my running group Folsom Trail Runners are participating in the race. Carina one of the leaders of the group (the other is Hassan), organized a training run that covered 13miles which is the 1st section of the course. This is the trail from Magnolia Ranch to Skunk Hollow. The meeting time at Skunk Hollow is at 7:30 am. It is 21miles from where I live and a 35-minute drive passing by Folsom and the final 6 miles at Salmon Falls Road. I had a Poppy pass that I could park at Skunk Hollow and hitched a ride with Hassan and Cindy to Magnolia Ranch.Much later we were at the forest area. It is surprising to see the moisture on the forest side as evidence by the moss on the trees and the rocks. I got many running tips from Sheng, Cindy and Cordelia as they are veterans of many races.


At Magnolia Ranch it was cool 37F. Like many others I had a beanie hat, long sleeve shirt, light wooly jacket, a running skirt (what?) and long socks. There was mist and it made the scenery so pretty. I planned to take it easy just do build the miles. I was glad that Cindy, Sheng, and Cordelia had the same plan. Cindy and Sheng can run fast so I was glad they were happy to wait on Cindy and I. The trail were rolling hills, the rain had made the grass greener. The scenery reminded me so much of the Lake District where I went in 1986. It is in the Lake District that I had my first hike, together with friends from Emmanuel College. I was freezing at 28F and we stayed the night at a cottage with only a fireplace that we had to put out the fire at night. Anyway, back to the present.

Rolling hills for a great work-out.
 Mist was in between the hills as well, and it was chilly all the way. I took off my jacket and had to put it back. The conversations were great, and the pace was indeed slow and some time we would pick up the pace and start running. But it was so hilly on the uphill we would slow down and hike. It is rare that you could know the course prior a run, though it is better to get know what to expect and be able to prepare for it. This trail would be blistering hot in the summer. ¾ of the way we were in the open.

I was feeling good during the run, keeping with the pace and stopping many times to take pictures. There were several parts of the trail that were really challenging inclines. But the mist and the greenery and the scenery definitely helped take away the tiredness. I do well running downhill but I try not to create too much impact as it is bound to destroy my knees. It is better to run smart and have a longer running life, I would say.


Magnolia Ranch Trailhead.
When I trained for the Cool (Damn) Half-Marathon I trained on the trail as well. So when I ran the Sofi San Francisco half, I felt good and got a PR (personal record). That is why I prefer to run on the trail more. By April though, Carina said we will start incorporating road training runs.

My other concern is I have only one pair of running shoes. I think with one pair only, it will not last till July 29th, the date of the San Francisco Marathon. I should buy another pair and alternate using them, that way I am used to using either one. Next schedule is the Wednesday Cavitt 4-mile night run. The, we will be repeating another 13-miler next Sunday. Woohoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment