Wednesday, April 11, 2018

2018 Run Rocklin





Kids' Race
Yesterday was the AR50 or the American River Endurance Run which has two distances a 25 or a 50 miler. Many in our trail running adventures group were running the race, including my friend Carina who is one of the leaders of the group. I greatly appreciate all the training runs she is organizing to get me ready to race. In my own little way of thanking her, I had volunteered to be one of her crew. There were 4 crew stops, where runners can meet-up with their crew for such things as: change of shoes, change of clothing, refill beverages and/or water and other necessities. I was so envious with all the fun they had but I know, I am not ready for a 50-miler yet. I should push through with my plans of running the San Francisco Marathon on July 29 before proceeding to much longer races. It was a good experience, being a crew on the AR50, it gave me an idea of what to expect and how to prepare for race day. It was a long day of racing for the runners but they were all very inspiring.

When I got home I saw Carina one of the events that Carina created on Facebook letting us know that she was signed up for Run Rocklin the next day, as a taper run. I messaged her and ask if she was running. Due to an ankle injury from the AR50, she would just help in the registration. I still signed-up because my plans for Sunday fell through and I was determined to get some miles in for the week.

12K and 13.1 mile race start
There is a continuing debate on whether it is harder to run on the road or the trail and both has its merits. I prefer trail for the simple reason that I like the scenery. I think trail running is harder because of the natural obstacles like rocks, roots, elevation, water, and many more.

Rocklin is a very challenging road course because it is very hilly. I like Rocklin because the traffic is not as bad as it would be in other places, also there are a lot of pocket areas of greenery. Everything is just so well-placed and organized, considering the city was incorporated in 1893. That’s a total of 125 years!

I was in bed as soon as I got home and just fell in deep sleep. I did not realize I was tired, too! I woke up at 4:30 am, an hour earlier than I would have wanted. So, I lay in bed for an hour before getting up to prepare. I wanted to be early at the Rocklin Community Center for packet pick-up and to find good parking. I was up before the alarm on my phone came on. I was at the Johnson-Springview Regional Park parking at a little before 6:30 PM. I went to the office for the bib pick-up and while I stood in line, Carina called me over. Carina oversaw giving the bibs for the late registrants like me. I am amazed that Carina after a 50-mile run and a still swollen ankle could be able to get up out of her bed and volunteer.

With Carina and the trail adventurers we regularly run on the trail, mostly around Folsom Lake. My 1st half-marathon was the Cool Dam(n) Run and my 2nd half-marathon was the Sofi Golden Gate Half was a mix of road, a little bit of dirt road, and hilly. This Run Rocklin will be the 2nd time only that I have run on the road.

I tried to keep her pace.
After getting my bib and a short chat with Carina, I went back to my car to stay warm. At 7:30 AM I began my stretch exercises. By 7:45 AM I made my way to race start. There was a kid race first and that was awesome to watch. It was amazing that there were even young kids who showed much determination to finish their race.

After the kids finished, the half-marathon and 12K runners were next to start. I took my place by the flag that says 12 minutes per mile. I have been running on the trail and have little experience on the road. From the Johnson-Springview Regional Park race start the course would run South then turn left on Sunset Boulevard and turn right on Whitney Boulevard for over a mile and the half-marathon runners turn right on Crest Drive which comes into the hilliest part of the course. I was trying to keep up with the pacer that had the 2:30 sign. I mentioned to her that if I keep her pace I will be able to beat time of my 2nd half-marathon time of 2:47. As the road went uphill though I was beginning to lag my 2:30 pacer. The turnaround was at 4.5 mile, then it is downhill for three miles before turning left on Midas Avenue. My pacer had already turnaround, I greeted her and she said that I was still on track, because the next pacer was still behind me. The course continues to Rawhide Road and the second turnaround is before mile 9. On the turns that were clearly marked, there was a marshal and cheerers for encouragement. It helped me big time. The sun was out and beating hard that I ran out of water in my bladder pack. That is even if I was also drinking from the water / Gatorade stations. Somewhere along Rawhide Road, I approached a family cheering from their driveway and they immediately asked what I needed. I asked for water and they were quick to grab and hand me a bottle of water. I was so happy and thankful for them. I was feeling so hot and faint at that point but the bottled water helped big time. The official high temperature that morning was 68F but running 13.1 miles, it felt much warmer than that. Along Rawhide Road, I looked backed and saw the 2:45 pacer. I picked up my pace and ran as fast as I could, I kept pushing till I covered the last two miles and finished. The photographer was there I even smiled and requested a jump shot to which he obliged. Another photographer took my photo when she saw me taking a selfie with my medal.

On the way to race office, Stacy (also a crew during AR50) saw me and she had run the 5K. We both went to check our official time for the race. Yes, we both beat our previous record! YES!





No comments:

Post a Comment