Monday, May 7, 2018

Auburn Dam Overlook (ADO) to No Hands Bridge to K2


Life happens, and I was side-tracked for a month. I moved from my home of two years. The good thing about being adventurous is we welcome these changes and are ready to move on taking the lessons and life experiences as we go. The dust has settled or rather kind of because I have come up with a rhythm. Being back on the trail last Sunday was one of them. Life is not normal but having a rhythm and doing the things we have control of is helpful.

American River Canyon Overlook or to many hikers and runners ADO or Auburn Dam Overlook offer a beautiful view of the canyon. It has a big parking area and a popular starting point for hikers and runners to meet up and follow the trails down to the canyon.

After crossing No Hands Bridge
No hands Bridge or officially Mountain Quarries Bridge it was declared a historical place in 2004. It’s No hands bridge was earned due to an equestrian who rode her horse without holding the reigns across the bridge and at that time there were no guard rails. The bridge stands 150 above the river and is 482 feet long.

K2 or Training Hill; for me as a long-time backpacker / mountaineer K2 is the 2nd highest mountain in the world although it is said to be deadlier. This K2 in Auburn you might find your toes will get killed. On the way down that is, if you are not careful. This K2 you will climb 1,000 feet in 0.9 miles and starts at 607 feet of elevation.

Here we go waking up early on the weekends like at 5 Am to be at the meeting area (ADO) at 7 am. I like to be able to eat a good breakfast (And have coffee!) before going out on a run but have enough time to let it set before running. Our trail run host Hassan reminded to bring enough fuel (food) and water. I had prepared water, Gatorade, pretzel w/ peanut butter and peanut butter sandwiches the night before.

I like mornings, when there is no traffic, watching the sun as she rises, the wind is cool with a gentle breeze. At this time though a long sleeve tight hugging (lightweight) shirt is all that is needed. There were 14 of us that showed up and after a brief introduction proceeded to follow the trail down to the American River to No Hands Bridge. This is 500 feet of elevation loss. The trail was very pretty with wildflowers abound. I was feeling pretty good today, but I still reminded Hassan to wait for me. Hassan and Steve waited for me at the important junctions. I attribute my slow pace to being careful with my left knee, watching where I step, short legs, need for more training and taking time to admire the flowers. My running friends inspire me because they are ultra-runners that have finished 50 – 100-mile races.

Training takes time, as Stephen Covey writes about the Law of the Farm; natural laws determine processes and outcomes in the natural world. For example, farm workers understand that “ripping up the soil, throwing in the seeds, watering and cultivating overnight” will not provide them with “a bountiful harvest overnight.”.

Hence, I cannot expect to finish a marathon in good form if I do not put in the required training; building strength, building miles, preparing my body with food, and preparing my mind. Preparation is everything. I like to run with a group and I count it a blessing to have found Trail Running Adventures led by Carina and Hassan. The training and camaraderie is awesome, and it makes me come back for more.
A lady with her fur baby coming from the opposite direction had a message for me, saying that my friends were just a few minutes ahead. I reached No Hands Bridge and saw everyone was waiting at the end of the bridge. As I ran across the bridge, I was shouting, Hassan please take my picture and I am happy he obliged. Next a group photo by the sign “Mt. Quarries Railroad Bridge” and we were on our way to the K2 trailhead.

At K2 trailhead we let the others go ahead while we posed for more photos. Steve wanted to let us go ahead so he could run his way up. If only for this short distance of 0.9 miles and an elevation gain of 400 feet I could do this over and over and be prepared for any trail hardship. Hassan kept reminding me to fuel up (eat) and hydrate. I was eating my pretzels with peanut butter filling. It has salt and protein.

As I hiked up, I was sweating profusely, my heart rate is up, and I could feel my leg, thigh and behind muscles getting a good work-out. At the top of the hill, a German couple offered to take our photo and we had our photo taken with the backdrop of the ridge across which is the ADO.

Hassan went ahead and was waiting as I navigated the last few feet of the trail. He asked if I wanted to do the 4-mile loop or go back down via the K2. I voted for the shorter route by going back down the K2 trail. Interesting that when we got there, a few from the main group were already waiting. I voted to run ahead since I am slow. After less than a mile they all caught up and passed me. Except for Hassan who was doing the sweep.

Again, I was enjoying the view and greeting everyone along the trail. I was also making a mental note of the location of the wildflowers so that I can re-visit and take photos. I was tempted to stop at the waterfall for photos but decided against it. Christina and Hiromi would wait for me at the junctions and I did not want to make them wait too long, less they think I have once again gotten lost.

Three quarters of a mile to ADO parking lot, Hassan caught up. As we passed the yellow flowers I asked Hassan if he had seen this on the way out. A trail hidden by bushes going up with the bushes so full of these beautiful yellow flowers. It did not take much to convince Hassan to take a few photos and a couple of videos.

We raced on to ADO parking lot where our friends were gathered as we waited for Steve to arrive. Our motto is “No person left behind”. We did not have to wait long, Steve arrived in 5 minutes. I felt good this whole training run, I was glad that Hassan reminded me to eat and drink repeatedly. It makes a lot of difference. Not eating or drinking is very bad and once you crash it is hard to recover. Looking forward to the next training run!


No comments:

Post a Comment